Amber Mohr and Jeremy Hall
Field Day: July 30, 2016 – Avoca (2-7 p.m.)
Event Title: Working Together: Benefits of Mentoring and Collaborating
How Many Years Farming? 2
Approximate percentage of household income derived from farm in past 12 months?
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- Hand tools
- Earthway seeder
- Ford 8N
- Stuff my (Amber’s) Grandpa left behind
Production Practices Used to Raise These Crops:
- Cover crops
Certified Organic? No
- Layer hens (six breeds)
- Cornish-Cross broilers
- Red Ranger broilers
- Broad-breasted white turkeys
- Harlequin rabbits
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Mobile chicken house for broilers
- Rabbit sled
- Hen house
- Rabbit hutch
Production Practices Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Free-range and pasture-raised
FARM STRUCTURE & PROGRAMS USED
Any Farm Employees? No
Farm Organizational Structure: Sole proprietorship
Farm Programs Used: None
BUSINESS & MARKETING PRACTICES
Special Business Software Used? Excel
How are Crops Marketed?
- Farmers market
- Amber and Jeremy have operated Fork Tail Farm since 2014 on 4.5 acres surrounding the homestead property farmed by Amber’s grandparents beginning in 1955.
- They have a collaborative CSA arrangement with Rolling Acres Farm, operated by PFI members Denise O’Brien and Larry Harris.
- Amber and Jeremy are currently enrolled in PFI’s Savings Incentive Program Class of 2017.
- They plan to add more pastured meat enterprises to their farm as well as an orchard, high tunnel and potentially small grains.