Jan Libbey and Tim Landgraf
How Many Years Farming? 21
Acres in Production? 4 owned
- Vegetables – spring through late fall and early winter
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- Two hoophouses
- John Deer 2640
- WD 45 Allis Chalmers
- Super A Farmall
- Two Maschio tillers
- Potato planter
- Bed dibbler
- Potato digger
- Bed lifter
- Barrel washer
- Lots of hand weeding tools
- Regi weeder
Production Practices Used to Raise These Crops:
- Cover crops
- Crop rotation
- Certified organic sprays and amendments
- Cornish Rock Cross broilers from Hoover’s Hatchery in Rudd, IA
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Chicken tractors
Production Practices Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Organic feed from Bluestem Enterprise, Inc., in Webster City, IA
- Raised on pasture of clover – chicken clover field included in crop rotation system
BUSINESS & MARKETING PRACTICES
Special Business Software Used? Quickbooks
How are Crops Marketed?
- Grocery Sales
- On-farm retail sales
- Food hub – North Iowa Fresh LLC
- Jan and Tim operate One Step at a Time Gardens, which encompasses 130 acres nestled in the rolling, glacial landscape of southern Hancock County.
- The farm is a mixture of cultivated fields, cropland and diverse CRP acres.
- Tim is a past Practical Farmers board president and board member. He also recently chaired PFI’s executive director transition committee.
- Jan is active with North Iowa Fresh LLC (a food hub), and Healthy of Harvest of North Iowa, a group working to build a regional food system in nine northern Iowa counties.