Field Day: September 10 – Fenton (10 a.m.-1 p.m.)
Event Title: Hazelnut Production and Marketing
How Many Years Farming? 10
Acres in Production? 1 owned, 3 rented acres
Approximate percentage of household income derived from farm in past 12 months?
- Aronia berries
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- Hand tools, such as pruners, loppers and backpack sprayers
- Machines, such as lawnmowers, weed-eater and chainsaw
Production Practices Used to Raise These Crops:
- Nuts and berries are in an orchard setting with grass between the rows.
Livestock Raised? None
FARM STRUCTURE & PROGRAMS USED
Any Farm Employees? No
Farm Organizational Structure: LLC
Farm Programs Used: None
BUSINESS & MARKETING PRACTICES
Special Business Software Used? Farm Business Systems through our accounting firm
How are Crops Marketed?
- Jeff grows and processes hazelnuts with his parents, Roger and Joyce, at Hazel Acres and Nut Haven. Hazel Acres was established in 2005, on the Jensen home farm, with the family’s original hazelnut planting. In 2006, after careful planning, the family established what they call the “Cadillac planting.”
- Hazel Acres is owned by Roger and Joyce; Nut Haven is owned by Jeff. The two sites are only a few miles apart.