Jon, Tina, Bach and Nancy Bakehouse
Field Day: July 27, 2016 – Hastings (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Event Title: From a Soil Conservation to a Soil Regeneration Mindset
How Many Years Farming? 43
Acres in Production: 700 owned; 25 rented
Approximate percentage of household income derived from farm in past 12 months?
- Small grains
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- GPS-equipped field tractors
- VRT fertilizer toolbar
- Spray coupe
- No-till drill
Production Practices Used to Raise These Crops:
- Side-dress VRT nitrogen
- Cover crops
Certified Organic? No
- Closed beef herd, mostly Angus, but includes some of a bunch of other breeds
- A few chickens – a mix of Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons
- One horse of unknown origin
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Moveable, temporary fence
- Mobile chicken coop
- Small, moveable inverted water tank for young chicks
Production Practices Used to Raise These Livestock:
- Rotational grazing for the beef herd, as well as grazing cover crops and perennial and annual pasture
- Completely free-range adult hens
FARM STRUCTURE & PROGRAMS USED
Any Farm Employees? Yes – 1 full-time employee
Farm Organizational Structure: Corporation
Farm Conservation or Incentive Programs Used: None
BUSINESS & MARKETING PRACTICES
Special Business Software Used?
- Red Wing Software’s Centerpoint for Agriculture
- AgLeader’s SMS Software
How are Crops Marketed?
- Grain Elevator or Co-op
- Jon, Tina, Bach and Nancy operate Maple Edge Farm, a family farm originally homesteaded by Jon’s great-great grandfather in the 1880s.
- In 2015, Jon formed the Southwest Iowa Expert Cover Croppers (SWIAECC) with nearby Practical Farmers of Iowa members interested in going beyond the basics with cover crops.