Field Day: August 7, 2016 – Ames (2 – 5 p.m.)
Event Title: Field Planning for a Beginning Vegetable Farm
How Many Years Farming? 4
Acres in Production? 3 rented, about 2 in actual production (the rest is pathways, etc.)
Approximate percentage of household income derived from farm in past 12 months?
Crops Grown: Vegetables and produce for a CSA
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- I rent a nice 45-horsepower, four-wheel-drive Kubota tractor
- I have a 5-foot Maschio rototiller, a 4-foot undercutter bar, middle buster plow, a 7-foot Perfecta that I use (owned by Prairie Bloom Farm) and a 6-foot deck mower (owned by Prairie Bloom)
- An insulated trailer cooler with CoolBot and air conditioning for refrigeration
- A water tank for watering in with fish emulsion
- I have an 11-by-45-foot caterpillar tunnel for seed-starting in the spring.
- I also rely heavily on my riding mower and 5-by-8-foot mesh trailer for moving supplies and harvested crops to and from the field.
- I just had a harvest cart welded for collecting filled totes in the field down narrow aisles.
Production Practices Used to Raise These Crops:
- Certified organic
- Crop rotations
- Cover cropping
- Drip irrigation
- I’m working on getting pollinator strips
Livestock Raised? None
FARM STRUCTURE & PROGRAMS USED
Any Farm Employees? No (I had part-time employees last year, but this year only have work shares and a couple of volunteers periodically)
Farm Organizational Structure: Sole Member LLC
Farm Programs Used: None
BUSINESS & MARKETING PRACTICES
Special Business Software Used? Quickbooks
How are Crops Marketed?
- Some restaurants
- Some through FarmTable Delivery