Leroy Zimmerman Profile
Date: June 21, 2016 – Orchard (2-5 p.m.)
Event Title: Berries + Veggie Starts + Potted Flowers
How Many Years Farming? 20 – (12 years in Iowa, 8 years in Pennsylvania)
Acres in Production: 25 owned; 27 rented
Approximate percentage of household income derived from farm in past 12 months?
Crops Grown: Strawberries, blueberries, produce
Equipment, Implements, Tools, Infrastructure Used to Raise These Crops:
- Plastic laying and lifting equipment
- Picking conveyor
Production Practices Used:
- Plasticulture – trickle-irrigated
Livestock Raised? None
Any Farm Employees? Yes
Number and Type of Employees? Seasonal
Farm Organizational Structure: Sole proprietorship
Farm Programs Used: None
Special Business Software Used? Quickbooks
How are Crops Marketed?
- Wholesale auction
- Leroy Zimmerman moved to Iowa from Pennsylvania in 2005. He began with 6 acres of vegetables in 2005, and planted his first strawberries in 2007.
- Leroy now grows vegetables on 52 acres – including 3 acres of strawberries.
- Leroy and his brother, Daniel, are both members of a group of Old Order Mennonites.