Practical Farmers of Iowa launches a new website
Redesigned site features searchable research reports, a newsroom and more intuitive structure
For Release: April 3, 2014
AMES, Iowa — Practical Farmers of Iowa is pleased to announce the launch of its newly redesigned website, which is now live and available at the same Web address: www.practicalfarmers.org. The improved site features new content; a design that’s more intuitive, easier to navigate and updated for viewing on mobile devices; and a structure that better reflects Practical Farmers’ member- and farmer-centered focus.
Some of the new and improved features of the redesigned website include:
- A streamlined but dynamic navigation structure. Top-level menu items are now organized into six categories – Home, About, News and Events, Member Priorities, Farmer Knowledge and Get Involved – with informative one-tier drop-down panels.
- Categorized and searchable research reports that can be sorted by topic area, date or title; searched by keyword; and have useful summaries of cooperators and partners.
- A newsroom where visitors can easily find and download Practical Farmers’ recent and archived news releases, logos and accompanying photos; sign up for our weekly email newsletter; view our usage and reprint policies and access quick links to other sections of the site.
- An improved homepage featuring event listings that automatically update, summaries of the most recent posts to The Practical Blog and quick links to our social media channels.
- A gallery of our YouTube videos, which range from practical how-tos to longer recordings of workshops and annual conference sessions.
- A new “Get Involved” section that has information for those who want to volunteer, farmers interested in sharing their stories and new ways to support Practical Farmers.
“PFI’s new website design makes it easier than ever to learn from and connect with the farmers who are doing great work,” says Tony Thompson, a beginning farmer who raises fruit and vegetables for a CSA at New Family Farm near Elkhart. “There’s a wealth of information and resources, and I’d encourage anyone who cares about ecologically-sound agriculture to check it out.”
GungHo! Creative, a Web design company based in Pittsburgh – and founded by a former Practical Farmers of Iowa staff member – led the redesign effort.
For questions on the site design, contact Erica Andorf at [email protected], or (515) 232-5661.
Founded in 1985, Practical Farmers of Iowa is an open, supportive and diverse organization of farmers and friends of farmers, advancing profitable, ecologically sound and community-enhancing approaches to agriculture through farmer-to-farmer networking, farmer-led investigation and information sharing. Farmers in our network produce corn, soybeans, beef cattle, hay, fruits and vegetables, and more. For additional information, call (515) 232-5661 or visit www.practicalfarmers.org.
Tamsyn Jones | Practical Farmers of Iowa | (515) 232-5661 | [email protected]