Person: Frank Santana
October 27, 2016
Energy markets are unstable and energy purchases can make up a large
portion of farm expenditures.
• The energy sources that power the
majority of farm operations are based
on fossil fuels and are some of the
primary emitters of greenhouse gases.
• Practical Farmers members tracked
energy expenditures in order to
establish an energy baseline and
pinpoint “energy hogs.”
• For vegetable farms, electricity to
power cold storage and gasoline for
product transportation are areas of
intensive energy use.
• For crop and livestock farms, diesel
for field operations and LP for grain
drying are areas of intensive energy
• Detailed records are necessary to
establish a solid energy baseline,
enabling farmers to implement energy
conservation measures and/or
alternative energy technologies.
March 1, 2015