Agritourism and Orcharding
Agritourism and Orcharding With an Ecological Focus at Wills Family Orchard
Hosts: Maury & Mary Wills
Address: 33130 Panther Creek Road | Adel, IA 50003
The enterprises at Wills Family Orchard Adel, Iowa, are diverse, yet with a common thread of agritourism. With 5 acres of certified organic apples, 2 acres of conventional-ish apples, 1 acre of organic peaches, a sorghum-sudan grass (instead of corn!) maze, pumpkins and more, this farm is a family affair that draws about 7,000 customers annually. Learn about the goals and lessons of managing this multifaceted operation and how the farm has grown and changed over time.
Apple cider donuts and light refreshments will be served.
- Iowa Organic Association
- Iowa State University Organic Agriculture Program
- OCIA Chapter 1 of Iowa
See & Discuss:
- Certified organic and “conventional-light” apple production
- IPM practices
- An on-farm apple processing facility
- A sorghum-sudan grass maze
- Organic peach production
- Diverse agritourism enterprises