Help us further our goals and continue to help farmers in 2024. Donate now.
Trying Out Tools
Trying Out Tools and Talking About Farm Transition
Hosts: Denise O’Brien & Larry Harris and Kent Morris
Address: 59624 Chicago Rd. | Atlantic, IA 50022
***This event is at capacity. Please email Rachel Burke at email@example.com to be added to the wait list.
Denise O’Brien and Larry Harris of Rolling Acres Farm have spent the last 40 years transitioning Larry’s fifth-generation family farm from corn and soybeans to dairy and vegetable production. In 2020, they launched a greenhouse business selling farm-grown starter plants.
Join us at Rolling Acres Farm to learn about and try out vegetable-specific tools and implements ranging from hand tools to two-wheel and small tractors. Denise and Larry will share their vegetable farming experience and their fellow farmer, Kent Morris, will share his considerable vegetable machinery expertise. Kent, Densie and Larry will try to accommodate specific tool and implement requests from attendees. Requests can be made through the PFI registration form for this event.
Following the event, attendees may take part in a farm transition meetup; tour Denise and Larry’s solar, straw-built house; or hop over to Kent’s farm to see more equipment.
NOTE: For safety and logistics reasons, participation in the hands-on portion of this event is limited to 20 people. Preregistration is required; no walk-ins.
A meal for the community will follow the field day. The meal and after-dinner tour and discussion do not have an attendance limit. Register for the workshop, the meal or both.
- Iowa Interfaith Power & Light
- Iowa Specialty Crop Growers Association
- Women, Food and Agriculture Network (WFAN)
See & Discuss:
- Recycled and improvised containers for greenhouse plants
- Plows, tillers, planters
- Small-scale irrigation tools
- Small tractor-scale implements: mower, tiller, cultivator, water wheel planter
- Two-wheeled walk-behind machinery
- Hand-scale tools available
- Tool selection, use, maintenance and care
- Farm transition (after dinner)
- A passive solar, straw-built house (after dinner)