Grants Finance Administrator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Grants Finance Administrator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a non-profit organization that has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities since 1985. We create learning opportunities via farmer-led events, on-farm research and educational content through our robust network of farmers. We also provide funding and technical assistance to help farmers adopt regenerative farming practices and grow farm businesses. Our vision is an Iowa with healthy soil, healthy food, clean air, clean water, and resilient farms and vibrant communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact. At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, supportive and fast-paced work environment. Professional development is a core part of our culture and team members are encouraged to take independent initiative to help fulfill our mission.
About the Position
The finance department provides critical organizational support to process, track and manage all organizational income and expenses, and to ensure PFI’s financial sustainability and health to carry out its mission. Practical Farmers of Iowa is in an exciting phase of growth, which brings with it a need for increased efficiency of financial processes to control costs, mitigate risk and streamline internal processes for clarity and expediency.
As a primarily grant-funded organization with over 60 active awards, financial management of grants is of the utmost importance to PFI’s organizational health and operations. The grants finance administrator will take primary responsibility of processes, staff training and oversight related to ensuring accurate and timely grant accounting and invoicing.
Oversee staff and contractors who code and enter financial data related to grants
- Provide training and coaching on grant budgets and expenses
- Monitor expense and budget coding work completed by staff and provide corrective feedback where necessary to ensure accuracy
Design and implement processes to ensure consistency and efficiency of rules regarding grant and match accounting
Track budget variances and help grant spending stay on track
Analyze grant budget and expense data and report results to internal grant project managers and funders
Design and implement data management tools for grant accounting, including spending controls
Implement periodic grant accounting projects and processes
- Add new grants into ERP system including entering grant budgets, match budgets and financial reporting requirements
- Create and process internal and external grant budget modifications when needed
- Create and maintain grant allocation formulas
- Complete monthly indirect cost recovery, revenue recognition and invoicing procedures
Other duties as assigned or volunteered to support department or team projects
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of financial administration and regulations
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong finance management skills
- Experience managing grant or program budgets
- Strong communication skills
- Strong financial data entry skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Collaborative work style
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to cultivate relationships
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of fund accounting
- Experience managing financial aspects of federal grants
- Experience with ERP software, Microsoft products (Business Central, Great Plains, SylogistMission, etc.) preferred.
- Match accounting and reporting
This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office with potential for a hybrid schedule. Applicant must be in the Ames office at least once per month. Strong preference will be given to candidates who can work from the PFI office a minimum of once a week. The salary range for this position is $55,500 to $60,000 with annual opportunity for merit salary increases and position advancement.
PFI values its employees and is a flexible and supportive work environment. Employees are offered a competitive benefits package including health insurance with employer-paid premium, generous paid time off, flexible hours, paid parental leave, 4% automatic 401k contribution after one year of employment and additional learning opportunities. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume and references) at the bottom of this page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.