Farmer Outreach Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Farmer Outreach Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa (PFI) is seeking an outgoing and driven professional to join our staff as farmer outreach coordinator. For over 30 years, PFI has equipped farmers to build resilient farms and communities through farmer-to-farmer knowledge-sharing, on-farm research and strategic partnerships.
This new, full-time position will work with PFI staff, members and partners to grow the impact of our members’ voices in their communities and in the media by coaching them on speaking and media interviews, and coordinating speaking appearances at events and in the media. The person will build relationships with farmers and with PFI’s partners and other organizations that host events our members can speak at. This person will also work closely with farmers and PFI staff to create stories, and with fellow PFI communications staff members to produce articles, social media content, videos, podcasts and other digital and print material.
The farmer outreach coordinator will join a dynamic, hard-working and enthusiastic team, and will help amplify Practical Farmers’ impact as our organization and the demand for resilient farming systems grows.
Coordinate farmer-to-farmer speaking and outreach program:
- Recruit and coordinate a network of farmers to speak at events
- Coordinate event speaking opportunities and media interviews for farmers
- Coach farmers on speaking at events and in the media
- Create content for farmers speaking at events and in the media
- Work with communications staff to develop templates and multimedia content for farmers to use in presentations
- Track and report farmer speaking engagements to funders
- Track impact on media landscape using media monitoring tool
- Coordinate writing of op-eds by farmers
- Connect farmers who have questions to other farmers who have answers
- Connect farmers to reporters looking for ag-related stories
Develop content and stories for accomplishing PFI’s strategic goals:
- Work with PFI program staff to plan outreach content for accomplishing strategic goals
- Interview farmers for articles, videos, podcasts and other stories
- Develop stories for videos, podcasts, email and advertising campaigns
- Write copy for social media, email marketing and advertising campaigns
- Write articles for PFI’s magazine and blog, and for external farm publications
- Edit blogs, emails, articles and other publications as needed
Plan and staff other PFI events as needed
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in either journalism, public relations, rhetorical studies or relevant communications field required
- Advanced degree in journalism, communications, agriculture or natural resources field or; three or more years of professional experience writing, coordinating outreach or similar capacity
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with the diversity of Midwestern agriculture, including conventional and organic row-crop systems; fruit and vegetable production; and indoor and outdoor livestock systems
- Knowledge of the principles of persuasive communication and how to deliver effective oral presentations
- Strong writer with experience translating complex and technical subjects into engaging, readerfriendly content
- Knowledge of interview tactics and the story development process
- Knowledge of the media landscape, and how to pitch stories to journalists and editors
- Familiarity with AP Style, and commitment to accuracy and consistent application of PFI’s style and voice across all channels
- Self-motivated and outgoing; willing to initiate contact with farmers, media outlets and partners hosting events
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex agricultural issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and especially PowerPoint
- Comfortable working with a diverse audience of farmers and stakeholders
- Ability to work well with others and build partnerships
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage several tasks at once
- Commitment to Practical Farmers’ mission, and a belief in elevating farmers’ voices and experiences
- Knowledge of grassroots organizing principles required, experience preferred
- Experience coordinating event logistics
- Video, podcast and other multimedia experience
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop, Lightroom, Audition and/or Premiere Pro
- Understanding of effective communication strategies for both print and digital environments
- Familiarity with Cision’s media tracking software, or similar media monitoring tools.
This is a full-time position based in our Ames office. Salary is competitive, based on experience and qualifications. Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for
independent initiative and professional development.
This position requires travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances. The position reports to Nick Ohde, communications and marketing director. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume, portfolio and professional references to Nick Ohde at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.