Graphic Design & Photography Intern
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Graphic Design & Photography Intern
Are you a graphic designer or student graphic designer interested in using your skills to create a more sustainable agriculture industry? Practical Farmers of Iowa wants to talk to you!
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a nonprofit organization that has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities since 1985. We create learning opportunities via farmer-led events, on-farm research and educational content through our robust network of farmers. We also provide funding and technical assistance to help farmers adopt regenerative farming practices and grow farm businesses. Our vision is an Iowa with healthy soil, healthy food, clean air, clean water, and resilient farms and vibrant communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact. At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, supportive and fast-paced work environment. Professional development is a core part of our culture and team members are encouraged to take independent initiative to help fulfill our mission.
About the Position
Communications and marketing at PFI is dynamic, purposeful and ambitious. Our work has several key aims: to expand Practical Farmers’ reach and impact; share our members’ knowledge and experience; promote PFI programs and activities; and drive the food and farming narrative about resilient agricultural systems. We manage an impressive portfolio that includes:
- Six major print publications (including a quarterly magazine)
- An award-winning video program
- Content for podcasts, email newsletters and blog posts
- Multiple websites and social media channels
- Graphic design and visual branding services
- An extensive photo and video archive and in-house style guide
- Robust media relations and farmer-speaker work
As PFI’s graphic design & photography intern, you’ll use your design skills to create a variety of visual content that supports PFI’s work and mission.
Working closely with PFI’s senior graphic design and photography coordinator, you’ll join a hard-working, curious and ambitious marketing and communications team whose main goals are to help expand PFI’s reach and impact and drive the food and farming narrative.
This is a year-long internship with an anticipated start date of June 2023. The intern must have availability to work approximately 15 to 20 hours per week during the summer months and 10 to 15 hours per week during the fall 2023 and spring 2024 semesters. The anticipated end date is May 2024.
Create visual content (70%)
- Use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to design and lay out print and digital materials including fliers, postcards, research reports, magazine articles, advertisements, and more.
Take and organize photos (25%)
- Take photos of farmer members and PFI staff. Take photos at select member farms and PFI events.
- Upload images from camera to PFI’s server after events
- Organize photography library according to PFI standards
- Retouch and edit images as needed
Other communications duties as needed (5%)
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- A degree in, or working toward a degree in, graphic design, photography or related field preferred
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Compelling portfolio of graphic design work
- Basic knowledge of layouts, typography, line composition, color and other graphic design fundamentals
- Ability to receive feedback and make changes
- Strong creative, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to adhere to PFI’s brand guidelines
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Motivated to continuously learn and grow skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects in fast-paced team environment
- Flexible, adaptable and a self-starter
- Ability to travel (occasionally) during summer months to PFI events and member farms throughout Iowa
This is a part-time, hybrid position with the possibility of a flexible schedule. The graphic design & photography intern must be able to attend weekly, in-person meetings and travel occasionally to events in the central Iowa area. The rate for this position is $15 per hour.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume, references and portfolio showcasing your work) at the bottom of this page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.