New Farminar recording available: Save input costs with longer rotations and adding livestock
37 live viewers attended the March 13, 2012 Farminar led by experienced farmer Ron Rosmann and beginning farmer Nathan Anderson.
The goals were to analyze a farming system that uses more local inputs produced on the farm, such as manures from cattle or swine and green manures like cover crops, and longer rotations by adding small grains, hay, and pasture.
Nathan had some great questions to ask including:
- How do you efficiently manage the manure composting process?
- Do you add longer rotations, or build livestock first?
- Why use animal manures from your farm?
- How do you decide the rotation for your farm?
- What crops do you plant and what varieties are key to success?
To view the complete recording, go to: https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/p7e7gvlwmef/
Supported by the Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA, Grant # 2010-49400-21843