Earn up to $20 per acre with our small grains cost-share. Sign up today!
Broadening Our Big Tent
Practical Farmers of Iowa’s mission is to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities. Welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect have always been core PFI values.
We believe that a rich tapestry of farm types, sizes, practices and philosophies creates a more resilient and inclusive agricultural landscape. We also believe that a “big tent” filled with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives enriches our understanding and broadens our impact.
Inviting Everyone to the Table
In all our gathering spaces, we strive for an environment where everyone – farmers of all types and philosophies, members, employees, volunteers, partners and guests – feels valued, heard, represented and respected. As we continue to work towards a resilient and inclusive agricultural landscape, it is imperative that we redouble our efforts to embody our core value of welcoming everyone.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone – regardless of race, ethnicity, cultural background, social or political identity, education, economic status or ability – feels not just welcome but invited to engage with PFI, and has equal access to our network, programs and resources.
Empowering All Farmers to Overcome Barriers
We envision a future where healthy soil, healthy food, clean air, clean water, resilient farms and vibrant communities are a reality for all –and where all who wish to farm are empowered to do so.
We also know that broadening our “big tent” means building authentic relationships, understanding the varied needs and barriers of all those we work with –and providing support and resources to match. Part of inhabiting the big tent is honestly examining, identifying and addressing all forms of discrimination.
We commit to inviting and welcoming everyone by:
- Building relationships with farmers and aspiring farmers facing barriers of any kind, and providing support to address those barriers
- Intentionally uplifting farmers and aspiring farmers of color, both within PFI and the agricultural communities in which we live and work
- Collaborating with people and organizations in Iowa and across the Midwest, in all sectors, who can help us invite, welcome and support everyone
- Establishing and maintaining a welcoming workplace
- Evaluating our progress frequently, as this important work must be impactful and ongoing
For more information about our action plan and progress to date, please contact Sally Worley at email@example.com.