Six Cover Crop learning options this spring
1) February 18th @ 9am Forum on Cover Crops and Soil Health
Not attending the National Cover Crop and Soil Health Forum in Omaha, NE next week? Attend a location nearby to see a livestreaming of the forum and participate in a facilitated discussion.
Hear about cover crops and soil health from:
- Howard G. Buffett, Howard G. Buffett Foundation
- Jason Weller, USDA-NRCS Chief
- Ray Gaesser, American Soybean Association president
- A panel of expert producer conservationists:
- Dave Brandt (Ohio)
- Gabe Brown (North Dakota)
- Dan DeSutter (Indiana)
- Clay Mitchell (Iowa)
2) March 4, 2014 Wildlife Benefits from Cover Crops workshop near Hazleton, IA.
- 5:30 dinner provided by B&B Farm Store. (Please RSVP to Angie Auel @ (319) 636-2617.)
- 6-7pm hear from Ray Wright, research specialist with University of Missouri, who will speak and answer questions about “Increasing Seasonal Wildlife Habitat by Cover Crops.”
- 7-8 hear from Tim Recker, who farms near Arlington, who will speak about “Bundling Cover Crops with Additional Conservation on My Farm” & A representative with Klinkenborg Aerial Spraying and Seeding who will speak on “Working with Aerial Applicators for Cover Crop Success.”
3) Watch a video of farmers at the Iowa Power Farming Show Cover Crop Workshops talk about why they use cover crops.
4) Cover crop webinars every Thursday in March. CCA credits available. Noon-1pm CST.
The American Society of Agronomy, Practical Farmers of Iowa and the National Wildlife Federation along with generous sponsors are offering a FREE series of cover crop webinars held every Thursday in March. For more information, see the ASA Education link below.
Improving soil health not only cleans up water quality and reduces soil loss but also provides a better environment for cash crops to succeed. Learn about basic soil health principles and how cover crops
are key to making those happen on your farm. This ASA webinar series will focus on cover crops and their implications on soil health, maximizing yields, livestock considerations, and crop management
Planned dates: March 6, 13, 20 and 27, 2014 for more information on the series visit the ASA Education page
Webinar Times: 1:00 to 2:00 pm Eastern/12:00 Noon to 1:00 pm Central/ 11:00 am to 12:00 Noon Mountain/10:00 am to 11:00 am Pacific Cost: Free (due to the gracious sponsorship) *You can register or participate in the entire series or individual webinars at your convenience. (Title is linked to the registration page)
5) New video from CTIC highlighting water quality benefits from cover crops in Eastern Cornbelt. Also have you filled out the cover crop survey yet? Click on the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/
6) University of Missouri Cover Crop Symposium Videos.
Listen to videos of cover crop presentations from a symposium held at University of Missouri January 14, 2014.