Cultivation – First Pass – Organic Weed Control
The first cultivation pass is often the most important AND difficult for organic farmers. The crop is small — susceptible to being buried or injured — and yet eliminating weeds early is much easier when they’re still small.
In this video, several PFI farmers share advice on when it’s time to switch from light-tillage implements like rotary hoes to cultivators; what the crop and weeds should look like when you start cultivating; what you’re looking to do with that first pass; and other things to look for when cultivating a field for the first time after the crop has emerged.
Learn more about organic weed control:
- Seedbed Preparation and Planting: https://youtu.be/anTVZnRDj70
- Crop Rotation and Weed Suppression: https://youtu.be/RRXRMUAXkk0
- Rotary Hoes: https://youtu.be/E5YIWo-LBXk
- Tine Weeders: https://youtu.be/uenCN22Oxjs
- Harrows: https://youtu.be/jGLtZsSjMQY
- Should I Replant?: https://youtu.be/-j59ouXevhY
- Cultivation – Equipment – Organic Weed Control: https://youtu.be/evekvO22WpQ