Help us reach our goal of 100 new memberships in September! Join now.
Cover Crop Field Day – Epworth
Thursday, April 4 | Epworth, Iowa | 4 – 7 p.m.
Hosted by: Nick Smith
Starting Location: 26129 Tivoli Lane, Epworth, IA
Directions to starting location:
- From Farley: Take Holy Cross Road north out of town for 5.5 miles to Tivoli Lane.
- Turn left (west) on Tivoli Avenue.
- Travel 0.3 mile and the fields will be on the left.
Second Location: Reception hall in Bankston, IA
Directions from first location to second location:
- From Fields: Travel east on Tivoli Lane for 0.3 miles
- Turn right (south) on Holy Cross Road for 0.4 miles
- Turn left (east) at the first cross street, New Vienna Road
- In 1.5 miles, turn left into the town of Bankston. The reception hall is located next to a gymnasium and cemetery.
The Smith family – including Jack and sons Nick and Ted – work with neighbor Tim Daly to custom-graze cover crops and corn stalks. Attendees will see fields of cereal rye that were drilled after chopping corn, fields where rye was broadcast into corn stalks and incorporated by grazing cattle, and fall-grazed oat and rye cover crops fields. We’ll start in the field to view some cover crops and discuss grazing before moving indoors for a water quality demonstration, continued conversation and a meal.
- Custom grazing cover crops
- Aerial, drill and broadcast seeding methods
- Cover crops with no-till corn on corn
Nick Smith farms with his family and works closely with his neighbors. The Smiths run a predominantly commercial cow-calf herd and sell registered Red Angus bulls. Cash crops include corn and hay.
A catered meal will be served at the reception hall in Bankston.
Please RSVP by April 1.
The RSVP for this field day has passed, please RSVP by calling our office (515) 232-5661 or e-mailing Debra Boekholder firstname.lastname@example.org