Growing and Marketing Salad and Microgreens at Cherry Lane Farm & Prairie Home Delivery
Tuesday, Sept. 6 | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Hosts: Krissy & Calvin Thiessen
Join us in Spirit Lake, Iowa, to learn about the various ways Krissy and Calvin Thiessen are growing and collaborating to reach new customers and build the local food ecosystem of the Iowa Great Lakes. On their own farm, they raise microgreens, salad greens and root vegetables, marketing to restaurants and groceries in addition to direct sales.
While managing the Arnolds Park Farmers Market, Krissy identified a demand for collaborative marketing in the area, and in 2021 founded Prairie Home Delivery. With 20 other farmers and producers, Prairie Home Delivery provides local food meal kits and farm-direct products to customers in northwest Iowa and southeast South Dakota.
Come see the Thiessens’ high tunnel and production beds, and hear the latest on this new, collaborative endeavor.
- Iowa State University On-Farm Food Safety Team
See & Discuss:
- Microgreens production, packaging and marketing
- Salad greens production and marketing
- Collaborative local food marketing through farmers markets and a delivery service
- Demonstrations of a paperpot planter and BCS tractor
Meal Information: A BBQ lunch will be provided.