Do you grow cover crops or small grains? Check out our 2022 Cost-Share programs today!
4th Annual Midwest Mechanical Weed Control Field Day – Episode 3: The First Encounter
Friday, Sept. 25 | 12:30 – 1:10 p.m.
4th Annual Midwest Mechanical Weed Control Field Day in partnership with The Land Connection
Episode 3: The First Encounter – “Precision Cultivation in Direct-Seeded Vegetables”
The Midwest Mechanical Weed Control Field Day is the nation’s largest event devoted to weeding tools. This year, due to COVID-19, the field day will be held online. In this three-part series, MMWC field day organizer Sam Hitchcock Tilton and farmer-friend Peter Seeley will host a series of virtual mechanical weed control field days. Join the pair to see and discuss new and old weed control equipment, including set-up and use in both row crops and vegetables.
Hosts: Peter Seely & Sam Hitchcock Tilton
Sam Hitchcock Tilton is a horticulture instructor at Lakeshore Technical College near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He has a background in vegetable farming and a master’s degree from Michigan State University with a focus on precision weeding tools. Sam has designed weeding machines for KULT-Kress and visited farms throughout Europe and the U.S., and he organizes the Midwest Mechanical Weed Control Field Day.
Peter Seely and his wife, Bernadette, began farming at Springdale Farm in 1988, at the dawn of the CSA movement in the Upper Midwest. Over 25 years, the farm has expanded to twenty acres and 800 CSA shares, plus thirteen greenhouses and five children, not far from Lake Michigan in Plymouth, Wisconsin.
- Once the weeding tool has been mounted and adjusted in the shop, watch the first run in the field.
- See how results are judged and adjustments are made to correct issues to quickly achieve accurate weeding in direct-seeded crops.
Tools and Tractors:
- Parallel units
- Cut-away discs
- Torsion weeders
- Finger weeders
- Belly-mount options
- Modified Allis-G
- Super C
- IH 274
Other Events in the Series:
- Sept. 11: Setting up a camera-guided cultivator with finger weeders in corn and beans
- Sept. 18: Preliminary tool set-up in the shop
Note: You may attend all events in the series, or pick the ones you’re most interested in.
Format: Virtual Field Day (#3 of Series)
Platform: Facebook Live
To register: Visit https://thelandconnection.org/event/mwc-2020 (registration is optional).
- Hsu Growing Supply – www.HsuGrowingSupply.com
- Osborne Quality Seed – www.osborneseed.com
- Rodale Institute Midwest Organic Center – www.rodaleinstitute.org/
- Small Farm Works – www.smallfarmworks.com
- Sutton Ag – www.suttonag.com
- Tilmor – www.tilmor.com
- Treffler-Man@Machine BV – www.organicmachinery.net
- Growing for Market – www.growingformarket.com
- Organic Grower – https://organicgrower.info/
- Vegetable Growers News – https://
This field day was made possible in part by the support of Ceres Trust.
2020 Field Day Sponsors