Attend a PFI field day this summer! Check out the full line up today!1 of 2
The Rookie Season of Roller-Crimping
Saturday, June 11 | 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Hosts: Fred & Vicki Abels
K&A Acres | (319) 640-2002 | email@example.com
Address: 20902 J Ave. | Holland, IA 50642
Seasoned cover cropper Fred Abels and his wife, Vicki, welcome field day attendees to their farm near Holland, Iowa, to talk about roller-crimping cover crops on a conventional farm. Fred farms corn, soybeans and cover crops for seed, and employs a range of conservation practices. Among them, he uses buffer and filter strips to protect water quality, and participates in local watershed projects, reserve programs and more.
Fred will discuss his cover crop practices, including termination with a roller-crimper following both corn and soybeans, and how this impacts his use of herbicides. Fred will have his roller-crimper and no-till drill on display during the field day, alongside crimped covers among growing field crops. We’ll unpack what cover crop strategies work for Fred, as well as the lessons he’s learned along the way. Join us in June!
Speakers: Léa Vereecke – Rodale Institute | Alisha Sedlmayr – Fayette County NRCS
- Conservation Districts of Iowa
- Albert Lea Seed
- Grundy Soil & Water Conservation District
- Iowa Ag Water Alliance
- Iowa Farmers Union
- Roller-crimping following corn and soybeans
- Terminating cover crops
- Lessons learned about cover crops
- Rye termination with herbicides
- A no-till drill
- A roller-crimper demonstration on cereal rye
- Spring and fall Haney soil tests
- Planting corn into living cover using skip-rows
- Corn planted following fall legumes and spring oat cover crops
Meal Information: Lunch will be held from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; the field day will begin promptly at 12:30 p.m.