PFI is hiring a Farm Viability Coordinator
Please help us spread the word about this opportunity!
Farm Viability Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a bright, motivated, and personable individual to join our staff as the Farm Viability Coordinator. Our vibrant farmer network is drawing in a wealth of bright and eager beginners who want to be the next generation of Iowa farmers; we are looking for someone to help these farmers create sound businesses. This staff person will also work with fruit and vegetable farmers to help increase the viability of their operations.
PFI offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development. The position will be located at our office in Ames.
The deadline for applications is November 1, 2011. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and references. Both email and snail mail applications accepted.
Sample duties for this position include:
- Provide 1:1 support to help farmers develop business plans and enterprise budgets
- Connect farms with financial experts to receive feedback on their business plans as well as receive loans to get access to land and business capital
- Document case studies of farmers who have achieved profitability, stewardship, and community through their farm business
- Organize field days, trainings, and workshops
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, business, or related field
- Minimum of three years working in the business sector or running an agriculture business
- Experience organizing events
- Expertise in business planning
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage several tasks at once
- A commitment to sustainable farming
- Excellent communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing, willing to pick up the phone, initiate contact with farmers, and have good interview skills
This is a full-time position at a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and generous Paid Time Off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment. Salary is competitive, based on experience and qualifications. The position reports to the Deputy Director.
Please apply with resume, cover letter and references to:
Sally Worley, Deputy Director
Practical Farmers of Iowa
137 Lynn Ave., Suite 200
Ames, IA 50014
Please direct phone inquires to Sally at 515.419.9551.
Founded in 1985, Practical Farmers of Iowa is an open, supportive and diverse organization of farmers and friends of farmers, advancing profitable, ecologically sound and community-enhancing approaches to agriculture through farmer-to-farmer networking, farmer-led investigation and information sharing. Farmers in our network produce corn, soybeans, beef cattle, hay, fruits and vegetables, and more. For additional information, call 515.232.5661 or visit practicalfarmers.org.