PFI is Hiring a Livestock Coordinator
PFI Grazing Coordinator Kevin Dietzel is headed for greener pastures — his new grass-based dairy Lost Lake Farm, and a job closer to home. We’ll miss your expertise, warm personality and tasty in-house cheese sampling Kevin!
To fill that vacancy, we are hiring a new Livestock Coordinator. Check out the job description below and spread the word!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT — LIVESTOCK COORDINATOR
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a bright, motivated, and personable individual to join our staff as Livestock Coordinator. The selected person will work with Practical Farmers’ wonderful group of farmers who have beef, pork, poultry, sheep, goat and other livestock operations.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and references by *April 30*. Both email and snail mail applications accepted.
Sample duties for this position include:
- Organize and staff PFI’s grazing cluster events;
- Arrange for dynamite farmer-led livestock programming at PFI conferences and workshops;
- Lead PFI’s livestock-related on-farm research and demonstration projects, including facilitating project selection, working one on one with participating farmers, and writing research reports;
- Serve as liaison for use of PFI’s portable scales for livestock producers;
- Provide staff support where needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in animal agriculture preferred;
- Experience working with livestock;
- Experience organizing events;
- Ability to work well with others;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to manage several tasks at once;
- A commitment to sustainable farming;
- Excellent communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing, willing to pick up the phone, initiate contact with farmers, and have good interview skills.
Some weekend and evening work and travel are required. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license, be able to do light lifting, and lead pasture walks and field days.
PFI offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development. The position will be located at our office in Ames.
This is a full-time position at a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and generous Paid Time Off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment. Salary is competitive, based on experience and qualifications.
Please apply with resume, cover letter and references to:
Teresa Opheim, Executive Director
Practical Farmers of Iowa
600 Fifth Street, Suite 100
Ames, IA 50010
Please direct phone inquiries to Teresa at (515) 232-5661.