Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Content Assistant.
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a motivated, diligent and respectful person with a passion for building community and creating positive change to serve as a part-time (30 hours per week) content assistant on our communications and marketing team.
In this role, the content assistant will use social media, e-newsletters and PFI’s website to build and engage with the Practical Farmers network on a daily basis. An integral part of the communications and marketing department, this person will join a hard-working, curious and adaptable team whose goal is to expand Practical Farmers’ reach and drive the food and farming narrative.
This is a twelve-week, temporary, entry-level position, similar to a summer internship with potential for continuation into a permanent position. New and recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.
About the Position
The content assistant will support that team by 1) creating and publishing content to social media channels; 2) creating and publishing content to e-newsletters; 3) updating our website; and 4) supporting the communications and marketing team with additional projects.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development. As an integral member of the communications and marketing team, this position will participate in all staff gatherings, including social and other team-building activities.
Social Media (30%):
- Create and publish a variety of content across PFI’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube)
- Work with PFI’s digital media coordinator to use social media to build and grow brand awareness, create a positive online reputation and engage and connect followers to Practical Farmers’ programming
- Develop content for social media based on current trends and best practices and assist with creating a regular publishing schedule
- Respond to inquiries on social media
- Report on social media metrics
Email newsletters (30%):
- Create and publish a variety of content across Practical Farmers’ seven e-newsletters
- Help the digital media coordinator plan for, develop and produce e-newsletters
- Report on e-newsletter metrics
- Implement website updates, creating engaging content and optimizing user experience
- Work with digital media coordinator to develop and execute strategy to increase website traffic
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong interest in social media, including social media trends
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
- Willing to try new things and learn new skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Motivated and a self-starter
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Strong attention to detail and high organizational ability
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Basic understanding of agricultural production in Iowa
- Interest in digital media engagement metrics and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience that demonstrates strong writing skills
- Previous experience with email marketing platforms, Constant Contact preferred
- Previous experience writing and publishing social media content
- Previous experience with web editing platforms, WordPress preferred
This is a 12-week, part-time position (20-30 hours per week depending on candidate’s availability). Practical Farmers’ office is based in Ames, Iowa, but we offer a flexible work environment. This position has the potential for a hybrid or majority-remote work arrangement.
The pay is $15 per hour. The start and end dates are flexible, but anticipated as June 13-Sept. 2, with potential for continuing into a permanent position. The content assistant reports to Christine Zrostlik, marketing and communications manager.
Download a PDF of the job description, duties, & qualifications
Please apply by completing the application form below (including contact information, cover letter, resume, and two references). Position open until filled.