Field Crops Education Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as a field crops education coordinator for the farmer-led education department. This role will help steward our educational offerings led by field crops farmers through events, storytelling and media outreach.
For 35 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities. This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact.
At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
The farmer-led education department houses PFI’s long-standing farmer-led education efforts. This department annually delivers robust educational programming consisting of field days, conferences, workshops and webinars. Staff in this department also facilitate meet-ups and other mechanisms to build farmer peer networks and write educational content featuring farmer knowledge for PFI’s media, including PFI’s quarterly magazine, blog and email newsletters.
The field crops education coordinator will support that team by:
- Facilitating high-quality, farmer-led learning and networking events relating to organic and conventional field crops production and farming systems, including small grains and cover crops.
- Writing farmer-focused articles, blogs and other outreach on topics related to field crops production, marketing, supply chains and rural communities for PFI publications and for distribution in other farm-related media outlets.
- Connecting with field crops farmers to learn about their challenges, opportunities and how PFI can serve them.
- Responding to questions from the public about PFI’s field crops programming, connecting them to other members with expertise or interest in the topic or to other PFI programs or external service providers.
- Supporting the farmer-led education department in data collection and information management processes.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Plan and facilitate farmer-led learning and networking events related to field crops systems, including field days, conference workshops, farmer-led webinars and small-group meet-ups
- Write farmer-focused articles, blogs and outreach for PFI publications and the ag media related to field crops systems, including email newsletters, blogs, the Practical Farmer magazine and external farming publications
- Grow and facilitate networks of farmers and landowners interested in improving their field crop rotations, crop and resource management, and soil health
- Respond to inquiries and requests for resources from PFI members and the public on field crops topics
- Organize and record information on PFI members and contacts into CRM and project management software
- Other duties as assigned or volunteered to support department or team projects
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledge of Midwestern field crops systems and sustainable agriculture concepts
- Strong event planning and logistics coordination
- Strong event and meeting facilitation skills
- Strong network-building and stakeholder engagement skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to develop and follow a plan of work with minimal oversight
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Solutions-oriented attitude and commitment to high-quality work
- Ability to give and take constructive, respectful feedback
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Agricultural production, marketing, business management or supply chain knowledge
- Formal or informal teaching or coaching experience
- Storytelling skills
- Two years of professional experience
This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office. The starting salary is $46,500 with annual opportunity for merit-based salary increases and position advancement.
PFI values its employees and offers a flexible and supportive work environment. Employees are offered a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance with employer-paid premium, generous paid time off, flexible hours, paid parental leave, a 4% automatic 401k contribution after one year of employment and professional development opportunities. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume and references) at the bottom of this page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Download a PDF of the full list of job duties and qualifications