Field Crops Viability Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Field Crops Viability Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as a field crops viability coordinator within our expanding farm viability department and field crops team. For more than 35 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact.
At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously, and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
The farm viability department is tasked with driving institutional changes and providing personal, direct support to assist farmers and farmland owners in achieving their goals. PFI’s farm viability efforts include:
- One-on-one consultations and coaching
- Business and market development
- Focused policy and program engagement to reduce barriers to farm viability
The field crops viability team manages PFI’s flagship financial assistance program, which in 2021 supported over 700 farmers adopting cover crops, diverse rotations and fertilizer management. The team works closely with major supply chain partners such as PepsiCo and Unilever to drive large-scale landscape change. The field crops coordinator will support this work by:
- Leading farmer recruitment efforts for PFI’s cover crop, small-grain and fertilizer reduction cost-shares that provide financial incentives and one-on-one coaching to farmers and landowners
- Engaging with partner organizations and media outlets to drive awareness of PFI’s field crops cost-share and related opportunities
- Providing one-on-one consultation and technical advice to farmers and landowners for cover crops and diversified crop rotations
- Implementing cost-share verification and validation protocols
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Lead recruitment and support promotion for field crop viability programs through the following tactics:
- Direct outreach to farmers, including phone calls, email campaigns and the coordination of meet-ups
- Collaboration with PFI’s communications department to develop outreach materials
- Presenting, sponsoring and tabling at partner education and networking events
- Coordination with partner organizations
- Interviews with the media
- Consult with farmers and landowners and provide technical advice to help them implement cover crops and diversified crop rotations
- Verify practices supported by field crop viability programming, including:
- Assisting farmers with entering program data into surveys
- Reviewing seed and application receipts
- Reviewing and compiling feedback from farmer programs
- Assist with processes to facilitate financial assistance programs for over 700 farmers
- Respond to general inquiries and requests for resources from PFI members and the public related to cover crops and extended rotations
- Other duties as assigned or volunteered to support department or team projects
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of Midwestern agricultural systems
- Knowledge of cover crops and diversified crop rotation agronomy
- Strong customer service skills
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to follow procedures and work within multiple systems to document, track and report on project activities and outcomes
- Meticulous attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work
- Ability to give and take constructive, respectful feedback
- Comfort with public speaking and ability to facilitate events
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture concepts
- Experience working directly with farmers or landowners to adopt cover crops
- Sales and recruitment experience
- Data collection and analysis skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Two years of professional experience
This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office with remote work potential in the Midwest. This position requires potentially significant travel throughout Iowa and the surrounding states for farmer meetings, recruitment events, partner meetings and other possible events.
The annual salary range for the position is $44,000-$52,000, with a starting salary of $44,000 and opportunity for compensation increases and title advancement on an annual basis. This position requires a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
The position reports to Lydia English, field crops viability manager. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by completing an application form (including contact information, cover letter and resume) on PFI’s employment page at practicalfarmers.org/employment. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a final deadline for submission by Sept. 16. You will hear back about next steps in the hiring process by Sept. 23. The start date for the position is flexible, but anticipated as Oct. 17 or Nov. 7.