Do you grow cover crops? Check out our 2022 Cover Crop Cost-Share program today!
Habitat Education Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Habitat Education Coordinator.
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as a habitat education coordinator for the farmer-led education department. For 35 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact.
At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously, and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
The farmer-led education department houses PFI’s long-standing farmer-led education efforts. This department annually delivers robust educational programming consisting of field days, conferences, workshops and webinars. In addition, staff in this department facilitate meet-ups and other mechanisms to build farmer peer networks, and write educational content featuring farmer knowledge for PFI media such as the PFI quarterly magazine, blog and email newsletters.
The habitat education coordinator will support that team by:
- Facilitating high-quality farmer-led educational and networking events relating to on-farm wildlife habitat and working lands conservation
- Responding to questions from the public about on-farm wildlife conservation and edge-of-field practices and, where relevant, connecting them to other members with expertise or interest in the topic or to other PFI programs or external service providers
- Writing articles, blogs and other outreach on on-farm wildlife habitat and working lands conservation for Practical Farmers and for distribution in other farm-related outlets
- Supporting the farmer-led education department in data collection and information management processes
- Assisting with administration and recruitment for PFI’s technical and financial incentive (cost-share) programs that support the adoption of on-farm wildlife habitat and working lands conservation
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Plan and facilitate educational and networking events related to on-farm habitat and wildlife conservation
- Write articles and reports for PFI publications related to on-farm habitat and wildlife conservation
- Develop stories and content for PFI publications and media related to on-farm habitat and wildlife conservation
- Grow and facilitate networks of farmers and landowners interested in on-farm habitat and edge-of-field conservation
- Respond to inquiries and requests for resources from PFI members and the public on habitat topics
- Assist with tasks and communications related to recruitment for and administration of PFI’s habitat financial and technical assistance programming in collaboration with the farm viability department, including:
- Process incoming applications and inquiries for habitat viability programs
- Prepare materials and information to assist with project tracking and reporting
- Respond to inquiries and requests for resources from PFI members and the public
- Organize and record information on PFI members and contacts into CRM and project management software
- Other duties as assigned or volunteered to support department or team projects
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Strong writing skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong event planning and logistics coordination
- Strong event and meeting facilitation skills
- Strong network-building and stakeholder engagement skills
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work
- Ability to give and take constructive, respectful feedback
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of wildlife and habitat conservation concepts in Midwestern agricultural systems
- Knowledge of working lands conservation practices and programs
- Storytelling skills
- Two years of professional experience
This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office. Annual salary range for this position is $44,000-$52,000 with a starting salary of $44,000. This position requires some travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
The position reports to Liz Kolbe, senior farmer-led education manager. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume, and references) below.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a deadline for final submissions by May 20, 2022. You will hear back about next steps in the hiring process by no later than May 27, 2022.