Check out the Beginning Farmer Summit! Register today.1 of 3
Information Systems Manager
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as the information systems manager for the operations department. For 35 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers across the state (and beyond) to build resilient farms and communities.
The information systems manager works with organizational leadership to plan, manage and support information systems and processes. PFI uses constituent relationship management software, an accounting system, survey platforms, database tools and various other applications to support daily operations and key organizational processes. The information systems manager is responsible for the effective functioning of these systems, and will support Practical Farmers by:
- Understanding the business processes and data needs of all departments and building the information and application ecosystem at PFI in a way that best meets the organization’s operational and reporting requirements
- Developing standard operating procedures and protocols in collaboration with leadership and departments
- Holding trainings for staff on how to use available information systems to support their work
- Creating and implementing customer service processes that help staff effectively use PFI information systems
- Managing vendors PFI works with to support, administer and maintain technology and information systems
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent
initiative and professional development.
- Manage information systems projects
- Design and implement processes to ensure that PFI’s information systems are consistent and efficient
- Oversee contractors and vendors who conduct information systems work
- Facilitate collaboration between departments to determine staff requirements
- Facilitate change management for information systems
- Train staff in use of information systems
- Write documentation on information systems
- Engineer and maintain PFI’s information systems
- Monitor and efficiently use capacity and budgets for projects
- Advocate for more capacity and budget when necessary to complete work
- Other duties as assigned or volunteered to support department or team projects
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Three years of experience supporting organizations in the effective use of information systems
- Prior experience working with CRMs, enterprise resource planning software and survey platforms
- Prior experience managing and supporting Google Workspace (G Suite) a plus
- Strong understanding of database concepts and methods of systems integration
- Prior experience managing third-party vendors
- Prior experience designing and managing support processes, with ITIL certification preferred
- Strong customer service skills
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take and give feedback to improve work
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to learn quickly
- Five years of professional experience
- This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office. The starting annual salary range for this position is $62,000-$73,000.
The position reports to Alisha Bower, senior director of operations. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
To apply, please complete the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume and references) below by Jan. 21, 2022.
You will hear back about next steps in the hiring process by Jan. 28. The start date for the position is flexible, but anticipated around March 1. If you need accommodation or assistance in completing the job application form, please contact email@example.com or call (515) 232-5661.