Latino Engagement Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Latino Engagement Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as a Latino engagement coordinator for the farmer-led education department. For 37 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers across the state (and beyond) to build resilient farms and communities. This position will specifically work to develop and grow PFI’s network among Iowa’s Latino and Spanish-speaking communities, and to deliver Spanish-language educational and network-building events.
PFI’s work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact. With this new staff position, we intend to meaningfully extend our engagement with and service to Iowa’s Latino farmers, aspiring farmers and food system entrepreneurs.
At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously, and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
The farmer-led education department is the core of PFI’s long-standing farmer-led education efforts. This department annually delivers a robust educational program of field days, conferences, workshops and webinars. Farmer-led education staff also facilitate meet-ups and other mechanisms to build farmer peer networks, and write farmer-centered content for PFI’s media including the PFI quarterly magazine, blog and email newsletters.
The Latino engagement coordinator will support that team by:
- Planning and facilitating high-quality networking and education events for a Spanish-speaking audience of farmers, aspiring farmers and food system entrepreneurs
- Building new connections for PFI with Latino and Spanish-speaking farmers, community leaders and organizations in Iowa
- Writing PFI’s monthly Spanish-language e-newsletter, Sembrando Resiliencia, and contributing to PFI’s blog and magazine
- Supporting the farmer-led education department in data collection and information management processes
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Grow PFI’s network of farmers, aspiring farmers and food system entrepreneurs among Iowa’s Spanish-speaking communities
- Table at external events, connect with Latino organizations and businesses and generate leads for future engagement opportunities
- Organize PFI socials and meet-ups in Spanish-speaking communities
- Plan and deliver farmer-led educational events in Spanish, both in-person and virtually
- Consult with PFI staff to design and deliver mini-grant and cost-share programs for Spanish-speaking farmers, aspiring farmers and food system entrepreneurs
- Assist Spanish-speaking constituents in accessing PFI’s English-language programs
- Coordinate Spanish-language accessibility and Spanish-language publicity materials for PFI’s annual conference, field day season and selected additional events
- Collaborate with PFI’s communication department on Spanish-language outreach and advertising
- Manage external vendors for translation and interpretation services (in Spanish and potentially other languages)
- Write PFI’s monthly Spanish e-newsletter, Sembrado Resiliencia, and contribute to PFI’s blog and quarterly magazine
- Engage with PFI’s Spanish-speaking members and affiliates, as needed
- Respond to general inquiries and requests for resources from PFI members and the public related to PFI’s Spanish-language programming
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- A desire to engage Iowa’s Latino communities with food and agriculture opportunities, and a desire to position Latino and Spanish-speaking-Iowans as leaders within the food and agriculture system
- Knowledge of barriers facing Latinos who wish to farm
- Ability to cultivate and sustain relationships with community members, partners, institutions and key stakeholders
- Working knowledge of food and agricultural systems in Iowa
- Strong verbal Spanish and English communication skills
- Strong English writing skills and moderate Spanish writing skills
- Ability to develop and manage a detailed schedule and work plan
- Comfort with public speaking and ability to facilitate events
- Ability to follow procedures and work within multiple systems to document, track and report on project activities and outcomes
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability and willingness to learn new programs
- Strong customer service skills and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to give and take constructive, respectful feedback
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture concepts
- Existing connections with Latino communities and organizations in Iowa
- Experience with grassroots organizing or outreach
- Experience addressing barriers to getting started in agriculture
- Two years of professional experience
This is a full-time position based in our Ames, Iowa, office. This position requires moderate travel throughout Iowa and, on occasion, surrounding states for events, partner meetings and other relevant network-building opportunities. The annual salary range for the position is $44,000-$52,000, with a starting salary of $44,000 and opportunity for compensation increases and title advancement on an annual basis.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development. This position requires a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
The position reports to Liz Kolbe, senior farmer-led education manager. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by completing an application form (including contact information, cover letter and resume) on PFI’s employment page https://practicalfarmers.org/employment by Friday, Oct. 7.