Help us further our goals and continue to help farmers in 2024. Donate now.
Practical Farmers of Iowa is hiring a part-time office assistant
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a responsible and committed person to help our membership and operations team with welcoming new members, processing and updating member data, preparing mailings and other office tasks. This is a flexible, part-time position that pays $15 per hour for approximately 15 hours per week. We are looking for a three-month summer commitment to this position, with the potential to continue into fall.
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a nonprofit organization that has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities since 1985. We create learning opportunities via farmer-led events, on-farm research and educational content through our robust network of farmers. We also provide funding and technical assistance to help farmers adopt regenerative farming practices and grow farm businesses. Our vision is an Iowa with healthy soil, healthy food, clean air, clean water, resilient farms and vibrant communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact. At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, supportive and fast-paced work environment. Professional development is a core part of our culture and team members are encouraged to take independent initiative to help fulfill our mission.
- Membership Services: Implement member welcoming program and assist with transitioning member databases
- Office Support: Process incoming and outgoing mail, file records and organize supplies
- Event Support: Process event data, prepare event mailings, pack and unpack supplies and organize event materials
- Merchandise: Fill and mail merchandise orders and maintain inventory
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Experience and Characteristics
- Experience with data entry and managing spreadsheets
- Ability to learn new programs and processes
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately
- Diligent and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
PFI values its employees and is a flexible and supportive work environment. Candidate must have the ability to lift 50 pounds, walk long distances and have a valid driver’s license.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume and references) at the bottom of this page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.