Senior Horticulture & Local Foods Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Senior Horticulture and Local Foods Coordinator
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a nonprofit organization that has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities since 1985. We create learning opportunities via farmer-led events, on-farm research and educational content through our robust network of farmers.
We also provide funding and technical assistance to help farmers adopt regenerative farming practices and grow farm businesses. Our vision is an Iowa with healthy soil, healthy food, clean air, clean water, and resilient farms and vibrant communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone and creating a culture of mutual respect. We believe that a diversity of people, ideas and perspectives strengthens our ability to find creative solutions, enriches our understanding and broadens our impact.
At Practical Farmers, we celebrate this diversity and are committed to ensuring that our policies and practices create an equitable and inclusive workplace. We take equal opportunity seriously and seek to empower and support all applicants and teammates.
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, supportive and fast-paced work environment. Professional development is a core part of our culture and team members are encouraged to take independent initiative to help fulfill our mission.
About the Position
We’re seeking a senior horticulture and local foods coordinator to shape our horticulture viability programming and food systems development efforts. The farm viability department provides innovative, personalized support to help farmers achieve their goals.
We partner with farmers to implement new on-farm practices, develop markets and create robust farm business plans. We also make key connections across the food and agriculture supply chain, develop strategic partnerships and shape the policies that encourage resilient farms to thrive.
As the senior horticulture and local foods coordinator, you’ll help build, test and scale creative solutions that respond to the needs of PFI farmer-members; work to create opportunities for fruit and vegetable farmers to establish and grow resilient farms; and work with PFI’s partners to develop and cultivate local foods systems that expand markets for horticulture farmers and other local food producers.
More specifically, you’ll support the farm viability team by:
Developing horticulture and local foods viability programs, including:
- engaging with PFI members to identify needs
- designing project plans
- seeking out and applying for program funding
Identifying and nurturing partnerships by:
- pinpointing and developing PFI’s viability partnerships with organizations in the horticulture and local foods space
- representing PFI on collaborative partnership projects
Managing and administering PFI’s produce safety cost-share program, including:
- promoting and recruiting farmers
- reviewing and approving applications
- providing assistance to program participants
Managing projects that develop local food markets and strengthen local food aggregators and food hubs, including managing PFI’s Regional Food Systems Partnership project.
Representing PFI’s role as a partner in the Iowa Local Food Purchasing Assistance program, including:
- Recruiting farmers to the program and supporting them once enrolled
- Serving on committees to administer and govern the program
- Maintaining data systems and conducting analysis of program outcomes
If you’re passionate about building a resilient food system, helping small farmers thrive and developing robust fruit and vegetable production in Iowa, this role is for you.
Required Qualifications and Characteristics
- Knowledge of or experience with at least one of the following: commercial fruit and vegetable production, marketing commercial horticultural crops or food system development
- Experience with grant writing
- Project management experience
- Highly organized
- Skilled at building relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Data management experience
- Ability to facilitate teamwork
- Attentive to others’ needs
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics
- Strong understanding of both production and marketing aspects of commercial fruit and vegetable farming, as well as food system development experience
- Experience creating and managing budgets
- Experience with designing programs and projects
- Experience using data management software
- Data visualization experience
- Ability to develop strategies for systems change
This is a full-time position with potential for remote work or work from our office in Ames, Iowa. The annual salary range is $54,500-$60,000, based on experience and qualifications. This position reports to Kayla Koether, senior farm viability manager, and requires some travel (mostly in Iowa) and a valid driver’s license.
PFI values its employees and is a flexible and supportive work environment. Employees are offered a competitive benefits package including health insurance with 100% employer-paid premium, generous paid time off, flexible hours, 100% paid parental leave, 4% automatic 401k contribution after one year of employment and additional learning opportunities. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer.
Please apply by completing the application form (including contact information, cover letter, resume and references) at the bottom of this page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.