Cover crop cost share is now available! Check your eligibility
Livestock on the Land
Thank you for your interest in Livestock on the Land!
In 2017, we started out on a journey to tell the story of regenerative grazing and its promise for the Iowa landscape. As we talked to more and more PFI farmers about the animals that made up the backbone of their farms, we realized we were onto something bigger – and more complex. High-tensile fences and electro-netting, mob grazing and manure packs, small grains and silvopasture are all part of it. But focusing on these innovative practices obscures the most important part of this story: It’s all about the people.
Our late co-founder Dick Thompson had something to say about this. He said it many times and in many ways, but the premise was the same: When cattle leave the farm, the people leave and the community begins to crumble. While livestock can work wonders for protecting soil, cleaning the water and even providing habitat for the birds and bees, at their core, they reveal things about ourselves and each other.
Livestock on the Land Screenings
Join Practical Farmers of Iowa for free outdoor screenings and panel discussions of “Livestock on the Land,” a feature-length documentary that tells the story of regenerative grazing and its promise for the Iowa landscape. Following the film, the audience can ask questions and hear from a panel of farmers featured in the film.
Pioneer Ridge Nature Area Haybarn Shelter
Tuesday, Oct. 19 | 6:30 p.m.
The outdoor film will begin shortly after twilight. Following the film, the audience can ask questions and hear from a panel of farmers featured in the film.
Bring your chairs and blankets for comfortable viewing! Snacks will also be available for enjoyment during the screening.
- Buy local meat: Practical Farmers’ Local Food Directory
- Start a grazing connection: Midwest Grazing Exchange
- Subscribe to PFI’s weekly e-newsletter
- Follow PFI on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Become a PFI member
- Donate to Practical Farmers
- Magazine article: Livestock on the Land
- The Importance of the Cow Infographic
- Magazine article: Linking Livestock to Land
- Magazine article: Graze More Instead of Owning More
- Journal Article: Accelerating regenerative grazing in the upper Midwest
- PFI’s Livestock Program webpage
- The Pasture Project: Grazing Fundamentals
- Factsheet: Grazing for Landowners
- Blog: Finishing Cattle on Grass
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network
- Iowa Department of Agriculture & Land Stewardship: Meat & Poultry Inspection Bureau
To request a film screening, have a featured farmer speak at an event, or ask questions please get in touch with Practical Farmers’ staff: