Help us reach our goal of 100 new memberships in September! Join now.
Produce Safety Cost-Share
This cost share has closed
Welcome! Practical Farmers of Iowa is offering a cost-share program for those seeking to make on-farm food safety improvements.
- You must be a specialty crop producer in Iowa
- You must have a training certificate from a PSA Grower Training course on the FSMA Produce Safety Rule (PFI will verify with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach)
If accepted, you agree to:
- Complete your qualifying purchase by May 1, 2023
- Provide verification of purchase (receipt)
- Complete a cost-share program survey prior to reimbursement
Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter, The Practical Horticulturist, to stay up to date on horticulture and produce safety cost-share news, upcoming events, the latest research and more!
This cost share has closed.
Contact our senior horticulture education coordinator, Jacqueline Venner Senske, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the office at (515) 232-5661.
Full List of Program Requirements
Cost-Share Reimbursement Amount
Cost-shares are available for $1,500 or $2,000. The level of cost-share is based on the cost of the intended purchase. See the table below.
|Purchase Amount||Reimbursement Amount|
Examples of eligible food safety improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Third-party GAP certification*
- Water testing expenses*
- Installation of CoolBot systems
- Upgrades to food contact surfaces in your pack shed
- Handwashing stations
- Harvest totes that can be easily cleaned and sanitized
- Portable toilet rental
- Expenses related to enclosing your packing area
- Fencing or netting to exclude wildlife
- Produce washing equipment
- Sanitizers, applicators and test strips
- Reusable distribution containers (insulated bags, totes, coolers, etc.)
*These items are also eligible for USDA Farm Service Agency’s Food Safety Certification for Specialty Crops Program, but cannot be reimbursed by both programs.
Items not allowed:
- Single-use packaging, such as clamshells, wax boxes or paper bags
- Disposable items, such as gloves, paper towels, etc.
Funding for the Produce Safety Cost-Share was made possible by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service through grant funding. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the USDA.